Friday, August 09, 2013

The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya (2009): review (minor spoilers)

Honestly, I have no idea what the fuck I just watched.

(Read my review on the previous season here.)

I was looking forward to this, I enjoyed the first season. The first episode of season 2 was a mere "meh", the second better, and then they proceeded to send the same freaking episode for the next 7 ones. "Endless Eight" is the name of this arc, in which the content is pretty much the same, but their clothes, the animation, and a few of the lines change. Although creative, it's much unoriginal and dragged out for far too long, they could've done it all in like 2 or 3 episodes, instead of 8. Afraid of missing some important information, I saw them all, and the only thing actually worth seeing was Koizumi in a speedo (pretty sure that was episode 6, for those interested). So I'm telling you, go ahead and skip them.

5 episodes follows, which all revolve around one thing, where parts of it already shown in the previous season.

I laughed for the 2 first episodes of this anime. Then it just went downhill. The characters are more stupid than ever, especially Kyon, it's like he doesn't even think at all, despite being the narrator. Also, Koizumi is one weird guy, I can't decide on whether I love him or hate him. The rest are just in the background or being unnecessarily irritating (yes Mikuru that was intended for you). And Haruhi was terrible, she really crosses the line in some of these episodes. So does Kyon. They were just not very nice.


No character development. Oh, wait, there is, for our beloved Kyon, in the last 2 episodes when everything suddenly gets serious and different interpretations for Haruhi's existence are introduced, as a viewer you're so confused you don't even know what is going on anymore.

I wouldn't rate this as bad, the animation and voice acting is too perfect for that, but it sure as hell wasn't good. 5/10 is my final verdict, and that's thanks to the few laughs I had in the beginning of watching this. I still find Haruhi's actions highly offensive though. Now please hand me an anime worth watching before I lose my interest for another three years.

No comments:

Post a Comment