Sunday, June 23, 2013

Book review: One Day by David Nicholls

So I was super excited to read this book, the international bestseller or something like that, One Day by David Nicholls. And I'll just be honest here: This book was a waste of time, I could tell how it was gonna end by looking at the front cover.


For those who don't know; it's about a boy and a girl meeting at their college graduation, and then what happens to them on the same date each year. I think this is an interesting concept in regards to writing technique, though difficult to carry out qualitatively. 

The book starts really slow, and in the beginning I was very confused as to where the author was going with this. Still, after the first two chapters I could predict what's going to happen - 300 pages from then. The stuff in between were just fillers really.

The story have endless flashbacks and characters thinking back, in order to fill out the missing information, which I feel works against the entire idea of "One Day". There are also lots of tiny details and descriptions (I suspect the author here was payed for every single word), and things that aren't really important for the main storyline. 

The characters are "not like everybody else", they're original and unique, though also unlikable. Main guy is a jerk and an alcoholic, and can't even treat his best friend properly. Main girl is has low self-esteem (for much of the book), but finds every excuse to criticise others, and although intelligent, she has zero self respect.

After about 350 pages this book becomes slightly better and enjoyable, but within another 50 pages Nicholls has manages to ruin it by adding a tragedy, which "moved the whole nation". Although I do agree that the one scene is sad, the novel in it's whole did not really move me at all, and I can't see what all the fuss is about. 

So no, I would not recommend this book, sorry. There exists a movie which I have not seen (don't really feel like trying either, but I might since I hear the actors are attractive), but if anyone else have I would much like to hear your opinions of it. 

Until next time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment